[Mageia-dev] Why ntpdate still there?

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Mon Feb 11 13:57:52 CET 2013

On Monday 11. February 2013 12.19, Pierre Jarillon wrote:
> Use of ntpdate in crontab is a very bad idea because a great number of  users
> can make a burst of activity and a saturation of servers.

Then don't use it in crontab.

> ntpd is more accurate with few requests and can also setup the clock.
> ntpd makes requests after a long time. More the clock is adjusted, more it
> waits before a new request.

I have a few setups where running an ntp daemon is undesired, yet I need to periodically manually set the clock.
I have two laptops which is off most of the time, and when I do use them I don't always have a network connection. So I need to set the clock manually using ntpdate when I do have a connection.

If it disappears I will miss it, and most likely look for a replacement, if there is one.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324