[Mageia-dev] System doen't boot with LVM

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Mon Feb 18 15:55:16 CET 2013

* Colin Guthrie (mageia at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Olivier Thauvin at 18/02/13 12:48 did gyre and gimble:
> > So ok, I just update my freshly installed mga2 to cauldron using network
> > install (live upgrade don't work, it seems urpmi fail to find a way to
> > update the system w/o filesystem).
> >
> > I have the exact same result: it don't boot.
>
> Hmm, re: live upgrade are you meaning just a urpmi based upgrade? If so,
> I've done a few similar updates in the last week or so in VMs and it's
> always been OK. I presume you installed the mageia-prepare-upgrade
> package from mga2/core/updates_testing, rebooted to the boot menu entry
> created by that package before upgrading?

Ha, no, I followed the howto on the wiki:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:UsrMove

and there is no reference to this package on the page :\

> Regarding the network install based upgrade there may be issues relating
> to bootloader config tools (in drakx) that related the use of the blkid
> cache which might make it miss the whole LVM volume (I've seen it
> manifest itself as putting "root=/dev/" into grubs menu.lst rather than
> "root=/dev/mapper/foo").

The entry in grub is fine (just checked it).

> >> In the dracut shell, what does /etc/cmdline.d/lvm.conf say? It should
> >> contain enough info to brink up both the root and the swap lvm.
> >
> > rd.lvm.lv=sagittarius/swap
>

> The problem is that dracut itself is not detecting that the LV needs
> activating when it runs.
>

> In order to get a booting system, just pass "rd.lvm.lv=sagitarius/slash"
> on the command line (obviously substituting the real name of your
> logical volume). This should make dracut initialise the lvm automatically.

This method did work and I am now under linux.

What can I do to understand why dracut did not detect the lvm to
activate properly (and hopefully fix this definitivelly) ?

> You should (at least in theory) also just be able to type something like
> "lvm vgchange -ay" into the dracut shell, then type exit (perhaps twice)
> to continue the boot process.

This has work except I was unable to enter my passphrase to read my
encrypted /home.

But it's good to know this is posible.

--

Olivier Thauvin