[Mageia-dev] Gnome mess in Mageia SVN...

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Feb 21 11:08:40 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 21/02/13 09:08 did gyre and gimble:
>> So you are making the same mess for upcoming mga3, that is
>> also in mga2 updates svn, making everyone elses work harder,
>> when svn does not match what's on mirrors... this is painful
>> for QA and security maintenance...
>
> Apologies for trying to provide a new GNOME as requested _on_my_own_ and
> not finishing it. Not what I wanted, but not done on purpose.

Mistakes happen. But we do need to ensure things are tidied up properly
with appropriate svn revprops to silence the old commit messages to
prevent them making it into built RPM changelogs.

>> Automated scripts can be ok during open cauldron, but _never_
>> when we try to stabilize for a release.
>
> Meanwhile, Mageia 3 keeps getting delayed and delayed and not due to me.

No, but that's hardly relevant here. You were involved in the general
decision for 3.6 in mga3. If you would like to propose a change to that,
that's fine - it can be discussed, but it's not really the right thread
to do that on.

>> So ... once again... please kill the script, clean up svn,
>> revert packages to latest stable, and try to focus on providing
>> a good / fully updated Gnome 3.6 will be available for Mga3.
>
> I rather take a break from Mageia.

Please don't! We obviously value your work, but it would be really
amazing if you could be a little more careful with the automated stuff
especially at this stage and put more time into the polishing. It's what
we all have to do - it's not always fun, but it's part of the process.

> And I hate these personal email habits. CC'ing mageia-dev.

That's fine. I presume Thomas just wanted to let you know in private
rather than posting something perhaps evocative on the public list.
Sometimes it's better for people to get such mails in private because it
then avoids them being embarrassed by a bug or mistake. Obviously in
this case, you prefer it to be in public and that is fine :)

Please keep up the good work. But yeah, please also kill the script for
the time being while freeze is in effect :D