[Mageia-dev] Gnome mess in Mageia SVN...

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Sat Feb 23 15:23:07 CET 2013

Olav Vitters skrev 21.2.2013 11:08:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 01:10:33AM +0200, Thomas Backlund wrote:
>> Can you _please_ kill your automatic upload scripts...
>
> done.

Thanks.

>> It should have been killed as soon as we hit version freeze.
>>
>> It's making a mess in Mageia SVN.
>>
>> I see several uploads by "ovitters", but no freeze push requests,
>> and also some 3.7.90 stuff getting uploaded and seveal version
>> bumps that is not "bugfixes only"...
>
> 3.7.90? It will not upload that. It will only upload if someone before
> uploaded such a version.

that may be ... we need to review and fix the packages / downgrades...
but someone uploading wrong package does not excuse doing more
of it...

but that's exactly the issue of running unmonitored bots when
version freeze  is in effect...

>> I see a new NetworkManager also just ended up in SVN, despite
>> iirc you earlier stated you'd probly need to roll down to an
>> older one...
>
> Indeed, seems that there is a still a bug.
>
>> So you are making the same mess for upcoming mga3, that is
>> also in mga2 updates svn, making everyone elses work harder,
>> when svn does not match what's on mirrors... this is painful
>> for QA and security maintenance...
>
> Apologies for trying to provide a new GNOME as requested _on_my_own_ and
> not finishing it. Not what I wanted, but not done on purpose.

Yeah, well, stuff going to updates_testing is meant for updates,
so when you start a push, please follow up on it, or dont push
at all...

and automated bots pushing stuff on its own to updates_testing is not
something that helps... official updates needs to be thought out,
and monitored so you really know what is pushed and needs to be
validated.

But enough about that... updates_testing got cleaned so we
will have to cope only with the svn stuff if/when pushing
gnome and gnome deps releated security updates ..

>> Automated scripts can be ok during open cauldron, but _never_
>> when we try to stabilize for a release.
>
> Meanwhile, Mageia 3 keeps getting delayed and delayed and not due to me.

So what...

I know you want to push GNOME 3.8 as it's always more fun to work
with "the latest/greatest yet" but the sad fact is that there does
does not seem to be enough gnome  maintenance/maintainers interests
to really pull it off...

Not to mention there is serious doubts the the 3.8.0 release
will be good enough to work properly for all endusers when the
fallback is dropped, so it would need atleast a update to 3.8.x
as a followup later to provide something that actually works,
wich comes back to lack of maintainers...

>> So ... once again... please kill the script, clean up svn,
>> revert packages to latest stable, and try to focus on providing
>> a good / fully updated Gnome 3.6 will be available for Mga3.
>
> I rather take a break from Mageia.

Just because we ask you to focus on distro quality thinking for
a while and not as a gnome dev only wanting to play with latest
code ?

And we get stuck with cleaning up... Oh well...

I guess that just confirms that 3.6 is a safer road for us then...

I do hope you reconsider, but everyone is here by their own
free will...

> And I hate these personal email habits. CC'ing mageia-dev.

I thought it only concerned you for now, as it was your bot
running wild (and unmonitored) that got me to mail you...

But if that's what you want... Fine by me...
I'll post on -dev for now then...

--
Thomas