[Mageia-dev] Kernel panic after latest update from Cauldron

Sun Jan 6 23:38:32 CET 2013

Dear Mageia developers,

After I pulled latest update from Cauldron, I found out that I cannot
boot into my Mageia system. The error message during boot process is:

-----------
mount: /proc: filesystem mounted, but mount(8) failed: no such file or directory
Cannot mount proc on /proc! Compile the kernel with CONFIG_PROC_FS!

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100
------------

The sequence of update was like this - happened on 6th January 2013,
around 20:30 CET:

1. Updated glibc/locales to 2.17
2. Rebooted system - boot OK
3. Started rpmdrake
4. Updated rpm/librpm etc
5. rpmdrake restarted itself
6. Updated all packages for which rpmdrake reported that update exists
7. Rebooted system - boot failure/kernel panic (see messages above)

I tried rebooting with both kernels 3.7.1-desktop-1mga3 and
3.7.0-desktop-1mga3, but the error message was the same: kernel panic
and frozen machine.
I used "Rescue system" option from Mageia DVD and inspected my
filesystem mounted under /mnt. To my surprise, /proc directory was
there.

Relevant information:
System: Mageia Couldron x86_64
Glibc: 2.17-1
Kernel: 3.7.1-desktop-1mga3
RPM mirror: Esslingen (DE)

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Regards,
Zoltan