[Mageia-dev] Booting on GPT + UEFI + Secure Boot...

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Mon Jan 7 15:31:32 CET 2013

Olivier Thauvin skrev 7.1.2013 15:41:
> * Pascal Terjan (pterjan at gmail.com) wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Olivier Thauvin
>> <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:
>>> Hello again,
>>>
>>> I just buy a wonderfull HP ENVY23 smartscreen.
>>>
>>> It has:
>>> - Windows 8 (I'd like to keep it)
>>> - GPT Formated disk (2T)
>>> - UEFI
>>> - SecureBoot
>>>
>>> I am trying to install a Mageia on it:
>>> I disabled secure boot.
>>> I succeed to boot using PXE (using legacy boot) and to install mageia2,
>>> but it failed to boot on Mageia using legacy boot.
>>
>> Do you know how it fails?
>
> The "Bios" claim the disk is not bootable and it switch to the next
> device (network card or UEFI/windows 8).

That's because the bootloader installed is not an efi one,
so it will be ignored.

>>> So questions:
>>> - is it possible to boot Mageia using legacy boot on GPT disk ?
>>
>> Yes (using grub, not lilo)
>
> It's the case, but it's not working.

The gpt part works, the (u)efi part needs a (u)efi capable bootloader
installed in ESP partition on the disk (usually mounted as /boot/efi)

On a Windows7 system I used the fedora grub-efi package following this:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/grub_legacy.html

I havent tested if grub2 is capable of booting it...

> I did try in rescue mode to reinstall grub but it failed with "hd0 not
> found".
>

>>> - is it possible to boot Mageia using UEFI ?
>>
>> I think so but I have never tried. I remember someone reporting success.
>
> I'll seek archives then.

I have a Win8 system here too wich I have plans to try and get
all isos to boot in efi mode on and install properly on but
haven't had time to do much of it yet.

--
Thomas