[Mageia-dev] Kernel Panic after latest Mageia-3-Alpha2 s/w update c

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jan 9 14:21:06 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Maurice Batey at 09/01/13 13:00 did gyre and gimble:
> Is there really no way of rescuing my updated MGA3-cauldron
> installation from the Kernel Panic showstopper?

There are many ways...

If you are lucky you will have *.old initrds so just edit your grub
prompt to use initrd.img.old rather than initrd.img (via text mode in grub)

Failing that, boot with a rescue dvd, chroot into your install and force
the install of util-linux from mga2. Then regenerate your initrd.

Failing massive filesystem corruption it's almost always possible to
rescue things - just takes varying degrees of effort! :)