[Mageia-dev] web virtual management solution

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Wed Jan 9 20:32:42 CET 2013

Op dinsdag 8 januari 2013 16:50:16 schreef Armando B.:
> Hi friends,
> i looking in svn repo for some solution about KVM web management solution,
> but i haven't founded applications.
>
> I used, for a little virtual cluster, VirtualBox + VbTool + phpVirtualbox
> (all presents in our repo).
>
> For KVM there is great virt-manager for cli gui but nothing for web gui.
>
> Searching online i saw:
> http://www.openqrm-enterprise.com
> http://www.ovirt.org/Home
> https://www.webvirtmgr.net
> http://archipelproject.org
> http://karesansui-project.info/
> https://code.osuosl.org/projects/ganeti-webmgr
>
> packaging of some of these is difficult for dependencies not already in our
> repo, perhaps ganeti could be more simple to package (in repo missing only
> 2 packages: python-whoosh and django-fields)
>
> what do you think about ?
> Would we have a web management solution for KVM in Mageia ?
>
> regards :)

for dayjob, i had looked for a cross platform solution (likely web) that could
do KVM & Xen (through libvirt) and also preferably VMWare ...

i found out that there is no really good one, the ones coming closest were
OpenStack(way too complex) and ovirt(too hard to configure correctly, and a bit
too RH-minded). Most of the others can't work on existing systems or are
entirely KVM minded, and most are too complex and deal with deployment and
storage, while imho that's not a good idea, it's likely better to use puppet
for deployment.

at some point we had an intern who started php libvirtd based HTML5 webclient
with spice, and has the basics almost ready(i followed up on him), but he had
to relook into his internship and sort of restart it with other topic... :-(

our dayjob plan was to release this open source, i don't think this changed. I
do am planning to continue it, even if it's only for our own internal use. I
had planned on finishing it (and subsequently packaging it), but i do need to
find the time. :-(