[Mageia-dev] The upcomming MSN network shutdown is postponed

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Sat Jan 12 11:27:15 CET 2013

One thing first, there's a problem with your recent message:
gpg: Signature made Fri Jan 11 23:51:59 2013 CET using RSA key ID 5A40807D
gpg: BAD signature from "Sandro CAZZANIGA <scazzaniga at linagora.com>"

On Friday 11. January 2013 23.52, Sandro CAZZANIGA wrote:
> Le 11/01/2013 23:43, Johnny A. Solbu a ←crit :
> > http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/01/microsoft-messenger-service-not-going-anywhere-just-yet/
> >
> > Microsoft have apparently postponed the
> > shutdown with at least year.
> >

> Microsoft want to stop MSN network in March, 15th, it seems:

If you read the Ars article, you'll see that they asked Microsoft and Microsoft confirmed that the network itself will continue to run untill at least match 2014, and most third party clients will most likely work untill then. It's some of the official clients that will stop working.

Quoting from the article:
==
«We asked Microsoft about its plans and what would happen to these various clients. The company tells us that contrary to the previous reports, the Messenger service /isn't/ being retired on March 15th. That date does represent the /start/ of the transition away from Messenger, but the service is set to operate for some time yet.
On March 15th, the Windows Messenger client will be blacklisted and unable to connect to the network, informing users that they must install the Skype client instead. The Skype client will continue to connect to the Messenger network (as it does presently) and will allow communication with Messenger users.»
«Other clients, however, should be unaffected and will continue to connect just fine. »
==

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324