[Mageia-dev] chromium {beta|stable} versions

Adrien Guichard guichard.adrien at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 00:12:56 CET 2013

2013/1/8 Christiaan Welvaart <cjw at daneel.dyndns.org>:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2013, Adrien Guichard wrote:
>
>> I noticed that chromium-browser-unstable was version 25 (which is ok), but
>> stable/beta was stick to version 21.
>>
>> According to
>> http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.fr/
>> stable version should be 23, beta version 24. Many sandboxing enhancement
>> comes with recent chrome releases and Native API vesion 23 and further are
>> interesting to me, so it would be cool to have those (stable/beta up to
>> date) in Mageia 3.
>

> The -unstable 25.x was done by me. It crashes on some pages, e.g.
> http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/ and I disabled Native API support because it
> relied on bundled binaries. OTOH it does support h.264 video through system
> ffmpeg. A build of version 24 exhibited the same renderer process segfault
> so I did not upload any beta or stable packages.

I cannot build chromium here, my computer does not have enough swap
for final link. Looking after gyp files (responsible for generating
makefiles), I saw that proprietary codec should not be included in
Chromium branding.

According to "chromium/src/media/media.gyp"
        ['proprietary_codecs==1 or branding=="Chrome"', {
you should be able to exclude proprietary codec easly.

You can completly disable ffmpeg, if you look in the same file to
'use_ffmpeg', or tune enabled ffmpeg (look in
"chromium/src/third_party/ffmpeg/ffmpeg.gyp" for ffmpeg_branding,
use_system_ffmpeg, build_ffmpegsumo ...)

these flags can directly be used with gyp_chromium to generate makefiles.

I tried Dartium version 25 (chromium with Dart VM), I am not facing
any issue on any web page  (but I cleaned .cache/chromium directory,
and use a distinct user dir, since Mageia default to chromium 21).