[Mageia-dev] Unable to complete update rtkit package and system failure

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 14 18:39:31 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Kira at 14/01/13 15:58 did gyre and gimble:
> I had a machine installed mga3 alpha3 and wanna update
>
> it to catch up. But the update sequence stopped at rtkit
>
> package and it just down go on for about 1 hr.
>
> If I kill the update process and go on, even though
>
> it seemed to go smooth to do another urpmi  --auto-update ,
>
> but then I lost ability to login/access filesystem then
>
> total failure of the desktop. I still can change the tty1~tty7
>
> but I can do nothing: only the mouse move, but no way to control
>
> anything or login into textmode.
>
> Anyone please check it?

Chances are some package has written /run/nologin file.

This can happen if you run "systemd-tmpfiles --create" which perhaps
some package might still do in it's %post....

A reboot should clear out this problem. I'm not 100% sure but I think
root logins should also still be allowed even with a nologin file...
could be wrong tho'.