[Mageia-dev] GRUB can't see HD from chroot unless parent /dev is bind-mounted in chroot ?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Wed Jan 16 17:03:08 CET 2013

I've been re-running /boot/grub/install.sh from within chroots for years
with no problem.  But today when I tried doing this, I consistently got
Error 21: no such device.  After googling a bit, I noticed that if I
started grub in the rescue system and did "grub> geometry (hd0)", I got
a correct response, but when I did the same thing from a chroot, it got
Error 21.

If I bind-mount the rescue system's /dev to the chroot's /dev, it works
fine.

This makes perfect sense, except for the fact that I've never had to do
it before.  Any idea what changed ?  This has the potential to screw up
a lot of folks who were used to the old way.

Maybe /dev/sdX entries are no longer static, and so don't exist on the
root partition unless it is the booted system ?