[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3 (was: Feedback on Mageia 3 beta1)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 18 04:09:41 CET 2013

On 2013-01-18 03:31 (GMT+0100) Davy Defaud composed:

> Pierre Jarillon composed:

>> Another interest is Ubuntu which already use Grub2.

> Not only Ubuntu, but also Fedora, openSUSE, Mint, Arch Linux... and even
> the next Debian Wheezy!

I have nothing against Grub2 being available or even preferred, as long as
I'm not forced to chose between Grub2 and no bootloader at all. Grub2 remains
immature and overly complicated, with inconsistent docs scattered about, and
it's largely inconsistent with Grub Legacy and its docs.

I have more than a dozen multiboot systems with Mandriva, Mageia, Fedora,
Debian, Knoppix, Gentoo, *buntu and openSUSE. On all of them I maintain
legacy BIOS MBR code exclusively, and reserve the rest of the boot track for
my own use. As Grub2 devs all but insist Grub2 must be installed to the MBR,
it is not yet a viable option for me as a Grub Legacy replacement, or even
adjunct. I do allow *buntu to install Grub2 to its / partition in order to
watch development progress of Grub2, but in no other case is Grub2 now or for
the foreseeable future going to be on any other / or /boot or any MBR of mine.

On the many systems not requiring features of Grub2 lacking in Grub Legacy,
the complications and requirements of Grub2 are unwarranted. Grub Legacy
maintenance absence is a non-issue, as it just works, as long as no attempt
is made to use it for anything it doesn't support. So if Grub Legacy gets
dropped from a distro without allowing an option to install no bootloader at
all, I drop the distro. Likely there are other multibooters who feel the same
way.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/