[Mageia-dev] Questions on dualbooting/grub/bootloader-utils

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 22:34:19 CET 2013

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 07:06:00 -0500, JA Magallón <jamagallon at ono.com> wrote:

> Why do bootloader-utils (I think?) change device.map, menu.lst settings ?
> Why forces the boot disk to be always hd0 ?

The bootloader-utils assume the sdb will be hd0 at boot time, which
is the case on my system.

> Is there anyway to tell them I dont want to change anything ?

Have you tried making the file read only?  No idea if that will work.

> PD: is there an easier way to tell 'boot from the second drive' in the
> Win7 boot menu than using EasyBCD (I think it is doing some things not so well,
> like numbering first partition in second drive as hd1,1 instead of hd1,0...).

I use f8 on my system, during boot, to get to a boot menu, then
select the second drive  (my bios remembers the last selection,
and keeps it, on reboots).

When I select the second drive, as far as grub is concerned, it is
hd0, while as far as the kernel is concerned, it's sdb.

Regards, Dave Hodgins