[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Barry Jackson zen25000 at zen.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 14:08:57 CET 2013

On 20/01/13 12:55, Maurice Batey wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 07:41:28 -0500, Frank Griffin wrote:
>
>> According to this article, grub and grub2 each support chainloading the
>> other.  So I really don't see why there's a problem
>
>    Note that he says:
>
>        "I then login to that, edit the menu.lst file as desribed above to
>         add the new Grub2 installation, and then restore Legacy Grub
>         as the primary  bootloader"
>
> So I suspect that he (like me) does not know how to boot a GRUB Legacy
> install from a GRUB2 boot menu.
>     (Yes, I know GRUB2 boot menus do show options to boot existing
> GRUB Legacy installs, but in my experience (with Ubuntu and Mint) they
> *fail* to boot them.)
>
> Despite my requests in various newsgroups, NO ONE has offered a
> description of how to get a GRUB2 boot menu to successfully boot a
> GRUB Legacy install.
>
> Can you, please, Frank?

There is no problem at all.

Your issues with Ubuntu etc in the past were probably due to a bug in
os-prober which was fixed in version 1.53.

Mageia grub2 will correctly detect and boot legacy grub systems.

If you install the grub2 package (assuming you did not at install time)
then you can test this quite easily.

Installing the grub2 package will not impact your current bootloader in
any way.

Once it's installed read /usr/share/doc/grub2/README.Mageia to find how
to add an entry to your existing menu.lst to boot into the new grub2
menu from your existing legacy grub.

Barry