[Mageia-dev] Status note

Joseph Wang joequant at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 06:58:43 CET 2013

I've been avoiding checking anything into the tree so as not to
interfere with the Mageia 3 release.  But I've been quite busy at
working on various projects to be checked in as so as Cauldron opens
up.  Most of them involve somewhat more than packaging since I've been
sending patches upstream

The things that I've been working on are:

1) Cinnamon environment.  I not only have a cinnamon environment
working on my local box, but I've also created a set of packages that
pull in all of the latest cinnamon themes, applets, and desklets.

2) Games: I'm tracking development for raceintospace, golly and
leocad.  I've also got a local package of freeorion.

3) Astronomy/Visualization: I've created packages for the top
astronomy programs on sourceforge.  These have either eye candy or are
professional tools or both.  The things that I've packaged are
virtualmoonatlas, aladin, ds9 and a ton of astronomy related python
scripts.  I've also worked on a drop in replacement for pgplot based
on plplot and a Pypi -> rpm script.  I also have a local package of
elmerfem working.  I was going to work on paraview, and there are some
install issues, and I'd like to work on ds9 first.

I also have mesa working so if anyone wants to simulate a star, let me
know.  The problem with mesa is that theorists work mainly with
source, so I've been trying to figure out the best way of packaging
mesa to allow for tweaking.

4) opengl for ATI: I was working a while ago trying to get the open
source GPU/glamor drivers working on the newest AMD card, but that
doesn't seem that useful since AMD doesn't seem interesting in this.
There are some bits and pieces in my dev box that might be useful if
someone else is working on this.

I'm also interested in taking requests.  If there is some game or
astronomy related package that you'd like to get packaged let me know.
 One thing that I'm looking for is some open source wargame engine
(xconq is too old, lgeneral needs non-freeware files, and opengeneral
is closed source).  I'm also looking at openbve train simulator
(getting old, and lots of mono changes needed) and rigsofrods
(installation from source is complex).  On the astronomy front, I'd
like to get in IRAF but that's really hard to install.  Also, I'm
interested in knowing what sort of telescope control tools and tools
amateurs are using.

If I have a moment, I'll put up some screenshots with these packages
working on my cinnamon desktop.