[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 21:01:17 CET 2013

On 2013-01-28 19:27 (GMT) Barry Jackson composed:

>>> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/grub2/current/SOURCES/README.Mageia?view=markup
> Chainloading into grub2 is not the best way, due to the block lists
> problem people keep mentioning and complaining about.
> Grub2 can install it's kernel in the root filesystem which can be booted
> directly. Installing the grub2 package, whether during install or later
> automatically builds /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img and also creates a
> grub.cfg ready for use.
> Chanloading is un-necessary since an entry in menu.lst on a legacy
> system will boot a grub2 Mageia system using:

>    	title Mageia via GRUB 2
> 	root (hdx,y)
>    	kernel /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img

> ...as explained in the above README.Mageia

> I use a small grub2 partition sda1 as "master".
> To boot into Mageia grub2 systems I use the grub2 multiboot command:

> 	menuentry 'Mageia-3 multi sda6' {
> 	search --no-floppy --label --set=root mageia-3
> 	multiboot /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img
> 	}

> So IMO all of the FUD about "you can't install grub2 to the PBR" is
> pointless since it's just not necessary.

Maybe not all is FUD. I don't see anything in that README that describes a
procedure for an OS/2 or eCS multibooter whose primary bootloader and/or
bootloader of choice is IBM Boot Manager, which is prerequisite to booting
OS/2 when it is installed to a logical partition (the only place I've ever
installed it in the past decade). It can't be told to load a particular file
on a partition, only its PBR via the simple process of selecting a partition
in its setup utility for inclusion in its boot menu. It works (in effect,
chainloads) fine for partitions on which Grub Legacy has been configured with
the Grub Legacy setup command. The only options I see for such users is
selecting a partition with Grub Legacy configured with menu.lst stanza(s)
that include core.img, or configuring IBM BM as a secondary bootloader to a
primary bootloader that is not installed on the MBR.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/