[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 29 11:18:38 CET 2013

On 2013-01-29 09:29 (GMT) Barry Jackson composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Does M2 have current Grub2 in backports, or would it be simple enough to
>> install from Cauldron repos? If so, maybe if needed and pressed I could
>> find time to try installing Grub2 to its PBR. I'm not of a mind to
>> replace M2 there yet, and it doesn't have space for a new installation
>> of anything until I figure out what if anything I want to do about its
>> crowded HD.

> I keep my own backports of stuff that I am interested in, so I have just
> re-built the current grub2 packages against the current Mageia2 repos
> for you, you will find them here:

> http://mtf.no-ip.co.uk/pub/linux/barjac/distrib/2/i586/grub2-2.00-16.mga2.i586.rpm

> http://mtf.no-ip.co.uk/pub/linux/barjac/distrib/2/x86_64/grub2-2.00-16.mga2.x86_64.rpm

> I did try to address your question to the lead grub2 dev last night on
> irc, but he decided to go to bed at that point and suggested that I
> email it instead ;)

> Maybe you would like to mail him directly, as you understand the issue
> better than I do.

> He is Vladimir Serbinenko:
> mailto:phcoder!~phcoder at 60-124.62-81.cust.bluewin.ch

I just reread all my posts in this thread having this same exact subject line
as this, and see no question I posed other than the one you just answered, so
I don't know what you think I ought to ask him. Note that I have a
grub-devel at gnu.org subscription, so if you were to pose the "question" there
I would automatically get a copy and be able to follow any ensuing dialog.

Since my last post, I learned that the M2 on host t2240 I was referring to
possibly installing Grub2 on is actually only reporting as M2, as its
urpmi.cfg is pointing to Cauldron. So, I suppose I could just go ahead and
install from Cauldron if and when time permits - after deciding whether to
keep it as is WRT installed packages, switch repos to M2, or update it to
Cauldron (or M3 if it's been forked already).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/