[Mageia-dev] [council] *ping* Media query: secure boot support

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Jan 29 12:12:59 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:11:55AM +0200, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> Olav Vitters skrev 29.1.2013 10:43:
> >[..]
> >
> >I'm wondering as well. I've been thinking to upgrade my system somewhere
> >this year. This means secure boot, UEFI, etc. It would be nice if Mageia
> >supports that nicely.
>
> Supporting (U)EFI does not require SecureBoot support...

Technically no, but I am not sure how what options there will be on the
motherboard. I've been trying to read up on it, but though you should be
able to only disable SecureBoot, it seems it sometimes also disables
more.

My current motherboard is from Gigabyte. Probably will buy from this
company again as I don't have any issues with it. PSU wise it is another
story though :P (but don't think I need to replace the PSU)

> And personally, I dont think we should ever bother with the
> SecureBoot crap as its flawed in so many ways...

I quite like SecureBoot. This way you can avoid attacks on the boot
sector.

--
Regards,
Olav