[Mageia-dev] Grub2 vs. Grub Legacy in M3

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Thu Jan 31 17:19:47 CET 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 17:22:43 +0000, James Kerr wrote:

> Mageia 2's Grub boot-loader was installed to the MBR of the boot disk.

  But earlier  you said:

      "On a recent install of Beta1, I chose Grub2 and selected to put
       the  boot-loader in the MBR of the boot disk..."

Then: "Grub2 created a boot menu that enables me to
            successfully boot the pre-existing Mageia2 installation."

My question was about the pre-existing Mageia2 installation, and asked:
   Does that have GRUB installed in its PBR?

(I ask because others have opined that GRUB2 cannot boot a GRUB Legacy
install unlessthat install has GRUB installed in its PBR.)
--
/\/\aurice