[Mageia-dev] Why is AHCI statically compiled into kernel?

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Tue Mar 5 19:10:20 CET 2013

R James skrev 5.3.2013 19:34:
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Thomas Backlund <tmb at mageia.org
> <mailto:tmb at mageia.org>> wrote:
>

>     It's needed to be able to boot new hw without need for initrd.
>
>     https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:BootSansRamdisk
>

> Ah, I didn't know about that. It seems like the target systems will need
> to be simple AND have ahci compliant boot controllers. Otherwise a bunch
> of SATA drivers will need to be statically compiled in kinda like the
> old IDE days. It'll be interesting to see how many users complain
> because they "think" they shouldn't need an initrd... :o)

yeah, we / I  chose to make only AHCI builtin as pretty much all new hw
coming out theese days are ahci-compliant, so it works out of the box.

And to not bloat the kernel the "rest of the hw support" got left as
modules.

Now this feature "booting without initrd" is obviously targetted for
laptops/netbooks & desktops where people care about fast boot.

For servers (& bigger workstations) where you rely on SCSI / SAS  / FC /
.... you still need initrds, and usually you dont really care if a
boot take a little longer.

--
Thomas