[Mageia-dev] Another try at IRAF?

Joseph Wang joequant at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 01:33:18 CET 2013

Just an update.  I've been told on astrobetter that a lot of work has
been done in
making IRAF easier to build from source in 2.16, and I've found that this is the
case.  Right now I've gotten the bootstrap compiler working.  There is
one sub-library
(libVO) that is not working, but I think i can get that working within a week.

Once we have IRAF in, I'll look at PyRaf.  Once that is in this means that the
big three professional astronomy packages will be available via standard
RPM (ds9, midas, iraf).

One thing about the astronomy community is that it's been moving heavily toward
Macintosh, and I'm hoping that by making RPM's available with on the standard
distributions, linux is going to be able to stay competitive.  It's
also important to
make the packages standard parts of a linux distribution because making them
add-ons means that they don't use the build test infrastructure of the
distribution
as well as the non-astronomy human infrastructure.