[Mageia-dev] Why is AHCI statically compiled into kernel?

R James upsnag2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 05:38:54 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM, AL13N <alien at rmail.be> wrote:

> > While I appreciate the intention, from a user PoV, those UUIDs mean
> > b***** all.  It would be really nice if, when they are first named, it
> > was possible to allocate a "nickname" for want of a better term.
>
> if you use it, filesystems also have label functionalities, which iinm are
> shown in dolphin.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of UUIDs either so I tend to use labels instead.
I always partition and format using command-line tools in the Rescue
System. If you do that, you can add the labels yourself. For example:

# mkfs.ext4 -m 1 -L mgaroot /dev/sda1
# mkswap -L swap /dev/sda2
# mkfs.ext4 -m 0 -L home /dev/sda3

The -m parameters above specifies the percentage reserved for the superuser.
the -L parameters are the filesystem labels. After that, reboot to the
installer
and choose Custom Partitioning, assign your pre-existing partitions and be
sure _untick_ the [ ] Format boxes then continue installing as usual.

After the installation, you can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst replacing each
UUID=<blahblahblah> with LABEL=<label>. For example:

root=LABEL=mgaroot (and) resume=LABEL=swap

Similarly in /etc/fstab, you can have entries like:

LABEL=mgaroot  /     ext4  relatime  1 1
LABEL=swap     swap  swap  defaults  0 0

So the 'nickname' feature you request is available with a little pre-install
preparation and post-install config file editing.

Hope this helps -- RJ