[Mageia-dev] cyrus-imapd

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 12 16:14:44 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Thomas Spuhler at 12/03/13 14:57 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:38:57 AM you wrote:
>> Hiya Thomas,
>>
>> Firstly, thanks for taking time to update cyrus-imapd a while back. It's
>> a horrible package with lots of "gotchas".
>>
>> Sadly, I've just recently been bitten by fallout due to some of the many
>> dropped patches when you updated the package to the 2.4 series in this
>> commit:
>> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/cyrus-imapd/current/SPECS/cyrus-
>> imapd.spec?r1=130115&r2=196262
>>

>> What the commit message said was:
>> "upgrade to 2.4.13"
>>
>> Unfortunately, this is really no where near enough information for the,
>> very brutal changes that were introduced in that commit.
>>
>> 14 patches were disabled! That's a lot to go unmentioned!
>>

>> In my case some of the patches were very important - namely the
>> autocreate and autosieve patches which are an important part of my
>> setup. I don't add users very often but today I spent a long time trying
>> to debug why my new user's mailbox didn't "just work" as it always has
>> in the past.
>>

>> As I investigated the issue I saw this "cleanup" patch:
>> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/cyrus-imapd/current/SPECS/cyrus-
>> imapd.spec?r1=259043&r2=259168
>>

>> Sadly this just compounded the above problem, and all the patch files
>> themselves still remained in the SOURCES folder.
>>
>> As this is needed functionality for my setup (and likely other users
>> too), I've taken the time today to investigate all the dropped patches
>> and find replacements/updates where appropriate and drop those ones
>> committed (or which have alternative fixes) upstream.
>>
>> Please can you take a look over the changes:
>> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages?view=revision&revision=400402
>> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages?view=revision&revision=400404
>>

>> As you'll see it took a little time and I documented all the changes as
>> clearly as I could (I would have done it in individual commits but that
>> isn't really easy with subversion - no ability to stage changes and I
>> was too lazy to use git-svn here).
>>
>> The rmquota patch is still disabled, but only two others are slightly
>> concerning now. The rest either still applied or had appropriate
>> upstream fixes.
>>

>> Finally, I notice you made this change:
>> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/cyrus-imapd/current/SPECS/cyrus-
>> imapd.spec?r1=389214&r2=394129
>>
>> In theory, this is what one of the patches you disabled should deal
>> with. It silenced the user_deny.db verbosity. Sadly when rediffing the
>> patch it seems the latest version has refactored that code. I cannot
>> find anywhere where this message would be printed now (I see the error
>> on mga2 tho').
>>
>> Can you confirm if this change is really needed or if it was added after
>> looking at the mga2 package rather than the current code?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Col
>
> Colin,
> [...]

In cauldron or on mga2? I have it working happily via mga2 after
backporting all the fixes.

It seems lmtptest is trying to connect via localhost which on my system
is not running - my setup uses unix sockets to communicate over lmtp (as
is the default I believe).

For my setup this is the /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp socket.