[Mageia-dev] Trouble mounting EFI vars on latest 3.8.1

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Mar 14 10:10:04 CET 2013

Hi,

With kernel 3.8.1 I seem to be having trouble mounting efivarfs:

[root at jimmy ~]# mount -t efivarfs efivarfs
/sys/firmware/efi/efivarsmount: mount efivarfs on
/sys/firmware/efi/efivars failed: Cannot allocate memory

Googleing around it looks like this problem:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/stable/msg01501.html
as I do have variables named like dump-type*.

It works fine with 3.8.0.

The above link seems to mention 3.9.x rather than 3.8.x, but I'm
wondering if the problematic patch was merged into 3.8.1 too.

Certainly the fix seems to be listed in the 3.8.3 review:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1693026?do=post_view_threaded

Cheers