[Mageia-dev] Mageia3-B2 will no longer boot

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Mar 21 00:23:06 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Maurice Batey at 20/03/13 22:03 did gyre and gimble:
> On my netbook, the bread-and-butter install is Mageia-2, but I have also
> been trying Mageia-3B2 to try to check out the Broadcom WiFi situation.
>
> Until the last Cauldron update I made 2 weeks ago, all has gone well,
> except the last time I used it was difficult to boot it, often needing 2-3
> attempts.
>
> Today I checked again and it repeatedly failed to boot.
>   (Mageia-2 still boots reliably.)
>
> When the Mageia-3B2 boot starts, it gets as far as 3 bubbles over the
> cauldron, then the screen goes blank, there is still a lot of disk activity
> for a few seconds, then nothing - even after 5 minutes.
>   However , if I then tap the netbook's 'off' switch, momentarily I see a
> cauldron with *5* bubbles flash onto the screen before the screen dies from
> power-down.
>
> I could access  the Mageia-3B2 install from Mageia-2 if anyone can suggest
> what settings might be usefully checked and/or changed.
>
>   In the meantime my Mageia-3B2 is dead in the water...

Have you tried switching to ctl+alt+f2 to see if you get a text login?

Failing that, edit your kernel command line, and remove the quiet and
splash options, and add systemd.log_level=debug
systemd.log_target=console+journal

Then see how far you get.

It's likely waiting for something to complete, or some job had to be
ejected due to initscript conflicts etc.