[Mageia-dev] drakxtools & drakx-installer-stage2 (mga#9428)

Glen Ogilvie nelg at linuxsolutions.co.nz
Fri Mar 22 23:34:55 CET 2013

On 23 March 2013 07:37, Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 March 2013 12:20, Glen Ogilvie <nelg at linuxsolutions.co.nz> wrote:
> > I've been trying to test the installer change below before RC4, thinking
> > that it might be quite helpful.
> >
> > I am having a little bit of trouble however.  Could someone point me in
> the
> > right direction on a couple
> > of things.
> >
> > 1. How does the src tar.xz file for drakx-installer-stage2 get created?
> > assume it comes from a
> > build of svn://svn.mageia.org/svn/soft/drakx/trunk, but can't find how
> it
> > ends up as a tar.xz
> >
> > 2. When I've built a new stage2, any tricks on getting it into an ISO?
> >
> > I tried building an ISO based on beta3, with the new stage2, using
> something
> > like:
> >   mkisofs -o
> > ~nelg/Mageia-3-beta3-x86_64-DVD/Mageia-3-beta3-x86_64-DVD-stage2.iso -b
> > x86_64/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot.catalog  -no-emul-boot
> -boot-load-size
> > 4 -iso-level 4 -J -R /tmp/tt/
> >
> > This is clearly not right.  Is the a documented method I should use to
> build
> > a new ISO with a modified stage2?
> > In the docs I have read:
> >
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Drakx-installer_tips_and_tricks#rebuild_the_stage_2
> > and svn://svn.mageia.org/svn/soft/drakx/trunk/docs/README, I have not
> been
> > able to find instructions on actually putting together an ISO.
> >
> > Is:
> >
> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/How_to_remaster_a_personal_Mandriva-based_ISO
> > relevant for Mageia?  I guess not, as mkcd does not seem to exist in
> Mageia.
> >
> > So, a quick howto, or pointing me to the right documentation would be
> great
> > :)
>
> stage2 != ISO
>
> ISO is basically the stage1.
> stage1 is build by drakx-installer-images from:
> - some packages listed as BR, mainly the kernel drivers & firmwares
> - drakx-installer-binaries that provide the actual stage1 binary
>
> => generates what is copied in isolinux/alt0 & in install/images/
> (*.img + *.iso)
>
> stage2 is build by drakx-installer-stage2
>
> => generates what is in install/stage2: mdkinst.sqfs (a squashfs image)
> there's also rescue.sqfs there that is an alternate stage2 used when
> using the rescue.
>

> stage1 is basically a special initrd that loads the appropriate
> modules according to detected
> hardware and to what is specified on command line (eg: the DVD tells
> it to directly load
> stage2 from the DVD image).
> if not instructed to do sg, it displays the text menu asking from
> where to install (dvd, hard disk,
> network: http/ftp/nfs).
> It's a small statically linked program + init + a dhcp client +
> rescue-gui for the rescue menu

> [...]

Hi Thierry,

I appreciate you taking time to reply and let me know these details. It
confirms
my understanding.  What I would like to know is how to create / master the
DVD
installer ISO, and make that  master contain a stage2 that I have built.

I have been able to build a stage1 boot.iso, but what I would like is build
DVD image, based on Mageia-3-beta3-x86_64-DVD.iso, with just a different
 stage2, and maybe a rebuilt stage1 if needed.

I guess someone must know how Mageia-3-beta3-x86_64-DVD.iso, and the
other images get created.  I don't want to rebuild all the packages that go
in
them, just assemble one with the same packages as
Mageia-3-beta3-x86_64-DVD.iso, and a updated install/stage2/mdkinst.sqf
file.

Once this is figured out, I will happly update the Mageia wiki with
details, which
I think will be helpful for anyone wanting to make customised Mageia DVDs.

Regards
Glen Ogilvie