[Mageia-dev] HEADSUP: Full git clone of all package specs (with history)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Mar 23 17:45:19 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 22/03/13 09:32 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> Just to avoid a crazy amount of scripting with svn checkouts and such
> like, I've set running a git svn clone of the cauldron package
> subversion tree.
>
> It'll take a while to complete (likely about 24hrs in total by current
> estimates) and it should take up about 800MB (rough estimate) in total.
>
> When complete it will act as a handy source for doing full repository
> greps and such like. It will also be useful for making mass changes (git
> svn rebase and git svn dcommit are you friends).
>
> I'll endevour to make it available via a public clone when done, but due
> to it's size and nature it'll likely only appeal to a few people.
>
> Just thought I'd let you know.

OK, the process is now complete! \o/

It took quite a while to run (>24hours) and the freshly git gc'ed .git
folder is ~500MB. Compressed to a xz tar this folder is 400MB.

I missed out the two commits where all of the cauldron tree was
accidentally moved to obsolete folder and then moved back again, so git
blame works nicely.

That said, running git blame takes *ages* even on an SSD drive. It was
at least a couple minutes to display the results of a blame on a spec file.

If anyone wants a copy, just let me know. I could make a public,
automatically updating, read-only version available if there is
interest, but to be really useful you'd likely want to be able to
dcommit changes too which I think can only really be done with a copy of
the clone I made.

Cheers