[Mageia-discuss] Futur Mirror manangement for Mageia

Matthew Dawkins mattydaw at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 19:28:47 CEST 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Olivier Thauvin <
nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As soon we'll have a kind of infrastructure and making the distribution
> will start we'll need a way to distribute it.
> So to be ready as soon as possible I start here a discuss about the
> mirror management and will make some suggestion.
>
> Nothing is done at time, so feel free to comment.
>
> 1) The mirror content:
> - distribution
>  - devel one
>  - stable one
>
> is there enything else (patch, our own applications as source,
> documentation as flat html file) ?
>
> We also have to define the rules making a mirror valid and avoid
> differences between them.
>
> 2) The logical mirroring process
>
> The proposal is to have a safe and access limited rsync server
> containing the tree (rsync.mageia.org ?). Mirroring from this one can
> only be done after being authorized by our team.
>
> At second level, rsync'd from this safe server some referenced servers
> open to the world for all other mirrors (distrib-coffee could be one of
> them). The manager of these servers must be reachable, then we need to
> know them.
>
> So at the end all others mirrors from where everyone can fetch the
> distribution, and anyone could freely setup a such mirror.
>
> 3) Listing mirrors
>
> I do think registering mirrors could be done by anyone, once the mirror
> is availlable.
>
> So i suggest to have a web application to allow mirror registration.
> After submission a post process could verify the URL validity and if
> everything is ok the new mirror would appear in official list.
>
> The main point of this idea is to not force mirrors admin to registering
> on any bug tracker or anything else.
>
> The second goal of such application is of course to monitor them and
> alert when they are down or out of sync.
>

> Feel free to comment. I'll be carrefully reading this thread !
>
> Regards.
>
> --
>
> Olivier Thauvin
> CNRS  -  LATMOS

Idk if this is of any interest to you guys, but at Unity Linux we have a
devel server central to everything that syncs with ibiblio thru a series of
scripts. Then we have ~20 other sites that rsync with ibiblio on a regular
basis. Ibiblio is a great mirror to use b/c by default there are already
several other sites mirroring it.

Then we have a mirror monitoring system that reports the status of the
mirrors.
http://unity-linux.org/mm/mirrorstatus.html