[Mageia-discuss] domain names

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Mon Sep 20 00:15:18 CEST 2010

  Le 2010-09-19 17:14, Stéphane Téletchéa a écrit :

> 2010/9/19 Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com <mailto:marc at marcpare.com>>
>
>     Le 2010-09-19 17:00, André Machado a écrit :
>>     What about domain names like mageia-edu  etc. ?
>>
>>     --
>>     A.Salaün
>>
>>     I guess thatedu.mageia.org  <http://edu.mageia.org>  is better...

>     I would suggest that website domains start as much as possible
>     with mageia.xxxx. etc for product branding. People will remember
>     the brand more easily that way. Let's make it easy for people to
>     find the distro.
>
>     Marc
>

> xxx.mageia.org <http://xxx.mageia.org> seems better, see:
>
> http://doc.ubuntu.com/
> https://help.ubuntu.com/
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/
> http://testcases.qa.ubuntu.com/
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org
> http://planet.fedoraproject.org/
>
> http://software.opensuse.org
> https://build.opensuse.org/

> Stef

I guess the structure should be as conventional as possible. I am note
aware if the is a convention with site naming for organizations.
However, I usually favour any structure that makes it absolutely as easy
as possible for users to find the main site. Keeping a structure with
"mageia" as a prefix would accomplish that and would make it simple for
the initiated to the distro to find any associated sites under its
umbrella. Keeping it simple will bring in more users.

Marc