[Mageia-discuss] Project logo contest definitely needs a dedicated page

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Mon Sep 20 05:39:18 CEST 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 22:51 +0200, Thomas Lottmann wrote:
> there have been
> fantastic submissions and proposals for our brand new logo.

I'm swamped with all the mail on on vacation... but it's worth
pointing out...

First, define the target audience for the distribution:
. users (technical? non-technical? age group?)
. investors (current and potential)

Also, places where a logo is likely to be used...
. small, e.g. 32x32 or 64x64 pixels on the desktop;
. large, e.g. in printed collateral or signage;
. magazines and web sites, to distinguish the distribution

Then, constraints, e.g.:
. may be printed in monochrome
. must work on a fax machine
. mobile phone?

A logo is part of brand recognition, and for that to work, you have
to think about the brand as a whole, and how to make it distinctive:
colours, fonts, shapes, placement, the usual things...

So, what makes Magia distinct from other Linux distributions?

I used Mandrake Linux because I needed something that
. installed easily
. was suitable for both experienced programmers and people new to Linux
  (regardless of whether they used other operating environments)
. was up to date with packages/software, and had a wide selection;
. was widely translated and localised

If that vision is kept up, Mageia has the potential to become a
major player.

Best,

Liam