[Mageia-discuss] UK user community?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 20 15:02:00 CEST 2010

2010/9/20 Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org>:

> Why so pessimistic?

Because I see a necessity of some points you do not think necessary.
And because I remember discussions about package rules.

> The contributor submits the SRPM (source RPM) of the package he/she has
> made, then a Mageia packager looks at the spec file and the
> other included files to see that it all looks ok, then builds it on the
> official build servers (signed with a Mageia key) and then places it
> into the contrib-extra repository.

If you think we will have the manpower, ok. If you think these Mageia
packagers will have the accpetance of all those independent packagers,
ok.

> The difference between the contrib-extra repo and the more official
> repos should be that the rules for inclusion should be less strict (no
> commitment from the contributor to keep the package updated, no official
> debugging and support from Mageia, acceptance of less free licenses, no
> need to stringently follow former Mandriva packaging rules, etc).

Hmm, this is something I can not follow your suggestion. IMHO a strict
set of packaging rules is essential for the maintaining of the quality
of the whole system, Of course I do not agree that there should be
less free licenses accepted, except in a non-free repository. The only
point I agree for such packages would be a "non-obligation" option.

Of course, naming the repo "contrib-extra" and putting out a warning
about the usage of this repo would clobber all "pessimistic" Ideas of
mine. :)