[Mageia-discuss] origin of the name "mageia"?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 20 19:18:54 CEST 2010

2010/9/20 Maurice Batey <maurice at bcs.org.uk>:
> I must have missed some posting that explains "mageia"!
>
> What is the origin of this name, please?

"mageia" is greek and means "magic" or "wizzardry" - we are back to
the roots! The first name of this distribution was "Linux Mandrake"
actually named after the comic wizard "Mandrake the Magician" and the
first logo showed this comic character. A last part of this logo is
still the Mandriva star, it was attached to the magic stick of
"Mandrake"..

wobo