[Mageia-discuss] Transparency & open invitation to a united foundation..? [Was: forking mandriva]

Per Øyvind Karlsen peroyvind at mandriva.org
Tue Sep 21 07:26:39 CEST 2010

2010/9/20 Michael Scherer <misc at mandriva.org>:
> Le dimanche 19 septembre 2010 à 16:31 +0200, Per Øyvind Karlsen a
> écrit :
>
>> My primary interest lies with Mandriva Linux, not Mandriva, not Edge-IT.
>> Critics and noise leading to this pretty much all revolves around
>> Edge-IT, not cooker.
>
> While I do not agree with Per Oyvind reasoning, nor do I want to point
> some lack of transparency on previous foundation attempts, I must tell
Well, as you don't want to point out what you point out, I feel like
that I'd actually want to point out some things concerning it and
provide an explanation and some background on the matter as I think it
deserves such, and as I consider the topic being of public interest to
our community.

Anyways, the "lack of transparency" was rather discression for the
mutual interest of all parties before there was anything to announce
and try avoiding any potential PR disasters.

In retrospect, sure, this might've been a mistake, but the intentions
were rather sincere and the efforts weren't really considered as a
threath or a protest towards any specific parties, but did rather gain
favorable attention from everyone in community and almost everyone
within company, from the CEO and down.
My reluctancy on trying to push this much harder and in public were
mostly due to stress (and resulting moodiness;) and lack of energy to
try push something which got dismissed when trying to organize the
failed meeting at LSM 2007, and pretty much at every slight attempt at
raising it again later, with even responses and views of it no longer
being necessary or relevant with such as the creation of the Assembly
etc..
Why you didn't pay any attention to nor have any interest in any of
these previous efforts and the work invested beats me, it would've
been a much better alternative to all parties without the controversy
and increased bad feelings coming out of this.. :/

Oh well, regardless of past mistakes and any incoherency on my part,
motivations of yours or anything, I still think the resources gathered
and all the time and work invested could be of use to both parties,
and the rationale for previous discression being way beyond moot now,
so I've removed the previous need for registration (that were open to
everyone btw.) on the wiki with most of the content and post it now
for the first time in public for everyone, in hope for it to be of use
to either Mageia, Mandriva, or perhaps even both, at least hoping for
not all of it being wasted:
http://foundation.zarb.org

> I am still hoping to see both side of the divide to work together as
> much as possible and I do not see any reason to not have it.
As do I.

I still have a hope for seeing this vision being realised, and
certainly would very much prefer mutual collaboration around this than
a fork splitting the community and company, rather than uniting it.
I'd certainly have great interest (together with others which even
expressed their interest in funding it, as brought up when I tried
reviving this again earlier this year) in investing efforts into this
again, but certainly it would depend on the actual interest in this
from the people within Mandriva the company, the Mandriva Linux
community, the Mageia community, and also from our friends at Unity
Linux, PCLinuxOS and any other familiars which share a common interest
in sharing goals, benefits and efforts.

So I'd like to request the input from all parties on this, what
interest would it be to you? What is preventing your interest in it?
What would be required to gain your interest in it?

Well, I see this as my last opportunity for trying to push this again
trying to preserve our community, leave our differences aside and try
one final time to attempt uniting communities that would be stronger
and healthier working together, allowing diversity rather than against
eachother, fueling controversy and causing further fragmentation in
our ecosystem.

If nothing else, I did try at least.. ;)

Oh well, I fear that this I with this post and the proposition might
just be flamed to death no matter how sane and justified I may find
this that others might consider a flamebait pipedream, or perhaps just
ignored which wouldn't surprise me that much either, but as there
might just be slight chance of constructive discussion taking place
and something of use to someone rather than a new round with
distribution of blame and angry voices, I take my chances in the
spirit of the greater good for everyone. :o)

--
With the very best intentions,
Per Øyvind,