[Mageia-discuss] New name for cooker

John Keller mageia at johnkeller.com
Tue Sep 21 16:46:31 CEST 2010

On 09/21/2010 01:34 PM, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> 2010/9/21 Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org>:
>>
>> I vote for 'mixer', easy to remember, easy to pronounce, easy to write.
>
> Hmm, "mixer" like in alsamixer ?

Well, more like "mixer" as in the kitchen appliance. But I'm definitely
aware of "mixer" as in "concrete mixer", "audio mixing board" (predating
alsamixer by decades ;-) ), etc.

>> Cauldron is too hard to promounce
>
> You kidding? It is English, it has only 2 syllables, what is the
> difficulty there?
> You know how to pronounce "Paul"? Now replace the "P" with a "C" and
> add "dron" which is pronounced it as it is spelled.

I think it's important to remember users in non-Latin languages. I
almost sent my message with a note about the "aul" sound maybe
complicating things ("cowdrun?" "no, CAAAULLL-dron" "oh, of course,
calldrone!"). But nonetheless, I like it.

> I wonder what is the difference between cooker and cauldron,
> pronociation-wise I mean.
>
> C'mon, we are all not illiterate monkeys.

I'm sure you're excited about this launch, but I think that's an
inflammatory statement. You don't have to be illiterate or a monkey to
have problems with language, just inexperienced in foreign languages
and/or English.

And as a native English speaker, I can attest to the fact that yes, in
the technical world, people tend to have, er, interesting ideas about
spelling - whether it's intentional or not. And while the international
technical language may be English, names bring along with them a lot of
cultural and orthographic baggage.

- John