[Mageia-discuss] New name for cooker

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 21 17:13:06 CEST 2010

2010/9/21 John Keller <mageia at johnkeller.com>:
> I'm sure you're excited about this launch, but I think that's an
> inflammatory statement. You don't have to be illiterate or a monkey to
> have problems with language, just inexperienced in foreign languages
> and/or English.

Hmm, you are right but the complaint about prononciation came from an
English speaker, not from somebody of a different language and/or
cultural background, so I reacted to his words.

> And as a native English speaker, I can attest to the fact that yes, in
> the technical world, people tend to have, er, interesting ideas about
> spelling - whether it's intentional or not. And while the international
> technical language may be English, names bring along with them a lot of
> cultural and orthographic baggage.

Yes, I remember a discussion about proper spelling while proofreading
an english text, where the proofreader (a college professor for
literature) reminded me that non-native english speakers often have a
better knowledge about english grammar and/or spelling than native
speakers. I see the same with non-native German speakers compared with
native german speakers.

But I thought cauldron to be a known english expression and wondered
why it was said to be too complicated to pronounce.

If I was too offending, pls accept my apology.