[Mageia-discuss] New name for cooker

John Keller mageia at johnkeller.com
Tue Sep 21 17:51:05 CEST 2010

On 09/21/2010 05:43 PM, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> 2010/9/21 John Keller <mageia at johnkeller.com>:
>>
>> I agree, "brewery" or "brew" is a nice one!
>>
>  Now may I show the "too complicated for different languages and
> cultures" card? It may even be offending for religious people whose
> religion forbids alcohol.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Well, still nice if you like beer.

On the other hand (ah ha!), "brew" doesn't have to be alcohol-related,
since it can refer to a cooking process or a witch's brew. (Back to
cauldron...) Or, "what's brewing?"

Also, I've already seen one comment on DistroWatch from an Islamic user
saying that he wasn't going to be able to use Mageia because of the
Quran's views on magic. I'm not sure if he was serious or not, but
certainly someone would be about that. I'm not suggesting we dig the
hole any deeper, but at least if there's going to be a deal-breaker with
strictly religious users, it probably won't be the name of the dev branch.

> Sorry, this isn't meant as a reprise, it's just coincidence.

No worries, wobo - what's good for the goose is good for the gander. ;-)

- John