[Mageia-discuss] New name for cooker

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 18:35:18 CEST 2010

On 21 September 2010 18:51, John Keller <mageia at johnkeller.com> wrote:
> On 09/21/2010 05:43 PM, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>> 2010/9/21 John Keller <mageia at johnkeller.com>:
>>>
>>> I agree, "brewery" or "brew" is a nice one!
>>>
>>  Now may I show the "too complicated for different languages and
>> cultures" card? It may even be offending for religious people whose
>> religion forbids alcohol.
>
> Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Well, still nice if you like beer.
>
> On the other hand (ah ha!), "brew" doesn't have to be alcohol-related,
> since it can refer to a cooking process or a witch's brew. (Back to
> cauldron...) Or, "what's brewing?"
>
> Also, I've already seen one comment on DistroWatch from an Islamic user
> saying that he wasn't going to be able to use Mageia because of the
> Quran's views on magic. I'm not sure if he was serious or not, but
> certainly someone would be about that. I'm not suggesting we dig the
> hole any deeper, but at least if there's going to be a deal-breaker with
> strictly religious users, it probably won't be the name of the dev branch.

I think he has a misconception/a-bit-of-misinformation there; The
"magic" that's mentioned and forbidden in the Quaran isn't the "I get
a rabbit out of my hat so quickly you think I am magical" kind, i.e.
not the hocus pocus / sleight of hand kind at all.

So I am muslem but I have no problem to use/contribute to Mageia (and
Mandriva/Mandrake before that :), Mandrake was the name of a wizard in
a comic series, right?).

>> Sorry, this isn't meant as a reprise, it's just coincidence.
>
> No worries, wobo - what's good for the goose is good for the gander. ;-)
>
> - John

Ahmad Samir