[Mageia-discuss] [Cooker] Re: Transparency & open invitation to a united foundation..? [Was: forking mandriva]

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 18:35:31 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 17:58, Laprévote Arnaud
<arnaud.laprevote at mandriva.com> wrote:
> I am definitely in favor of creating a foundation. In fact, I think that it
> should have been done much, much sooner.

Indeed.

> I still think that we must do it. In such a foundation, Mandriva (the
> company) would be a voice among others.

Well...

>From my point of view (which I may share or not with many people from
the pre-board team who can confirm/contradict me here):

 1. I don't trust Mandriva existing and coming management, neither
investors. Years spent over there as an employee, seeing things from
the inside taught me that this company is, sadly, structurally broken,
from the very top (investors) down to management and its practices -
and for quite some time. Fixing it is an option, although very costly
and requiring exceptionnal skills and commitment from management; I
don't see this over there at this time.

 2. Mandriva plans are non-existent at this time to me (yesterday's
blog post is empty to me).

Otherwise, wonder why would we have started this fork?

This is my personal point of view and I encourage other people
involving themselves into Mageia to be true to themselves and speak
up, in one way or the other. And, I am in no way critical to this
project now, even by being in the "launch" team. And provided an
independant, not-for-profit, community driven structure is set up to
drive the project and keeps control out of the hands of one single
company, I'm happy to leave.

I just won't welcome a Mandriva person into the first board at least.

That won't prevent Mandriva developers to contribute or even use
Mageia projects.

Then, after some time, if Mandriva plans and behaviour confirm
themselves, consolid and seem to match our roadmap and values, sure,
we will welcome collaborators and share the fun - that's what
collaboration is about.

Collaboration requires trust. Mandriva (as a company, as a structure,
as a project) does not have my trust anymore. Or prove me wrong (you'd
have a hard time). But that's just me.

Romain