[Mageia-discuss] [Cooker] Re: Transparency & open invitation to a united foundation..? [Was: forking mandriva]

Per Øyvind Karlsen peroyvind at mandriva.org
Tue Sep 21 21:49:41 CEST 2010

2010/9/21 Gustavo Ariel Giampaoli <giampaoli.gustavo at gmail.com>:
>> As a sign of good faith, they could maintain the primary servers and their related
>> bandwidth.  Heck, if a foundation is established, it's a win-win for everybody.
>> They save money by having what were paid staff now volunteering, and the
>> community saves the expense of server farm hardware and rackspace and monthly
>> bandwidth costs.
>>
>> Your thoughts?
>
> You will leave your newborn in the "hands" of the same company whose
> lack of direction caused this situation?
>
> Maybe I'm a "little" paranoid, but i think we should listen
> ex-employes / developers. They know the sh*t from the very inside.
Ah, yes, two ex-employees / developers which were actively involved
with the development of the distribution over so many years.. Uh, oh,
wait, no they weren't.
I'm questioning whether they actually grasp all of the work required
to put together a distribution. I also find it odd when I see
statements from them on IRC which seems to be in conflict with others
involved with this that they intend on going in a different direction
independent of Mandriva. With all the people being brought aboard with
Mageia from the Mandriva Linux community, I find it hard to believe
that there has been established a consensus about this with all of the
people involved and that they really want to do everything on their
own and not care about keeping relations or anything with what they've
been involved with on actual community basis and over longer times
than either of these two..
Are you guys *really* planning on doing the whole distribution on your
own totally independent of Mandriva without any interest of
collaborating?

To me, these responses of Romain and Nicolas seems to confirm all the
questions I raised earlier in this thread, suggesting that the fork
and their motivations are personal and not out of concern and care for
the community, despite these motivations officially given. I guess
there's a reason for why they avoided these critical questions raised
towards them, and rather chose to attack constructive attempts at
doing what's in the best interest of the community in stead.

But sure, I've only been actively involved with the development of
this *community* distribution and on several other levels for a decade
now, being amongst those involved for the longest time, while also
being an ex-employee myself, I've primarily been active through the
community independent of my employment nor imposing personal feelings
towards company on the community. And I can also truly claim that I
have an absolute full understanding of all the work an complexity
involved in putting together the whole distribution and put tons of
more hours into this on my sparetime and out of interest for
contributing to the community, making me quite aware of the fact that
you'll have a pretty darn hard time doing this and organizing the
whole thing on your own.
In all these claims about this being a community project and it being
independent off people's employment and all, would you really find
disgruntled ex-employees which has only been involved in this project
through employment as the most trustworthy characters? How much time
do they actually plan to invest themself into this project on their
sparetime now that they're not employed by Mandriva?

I can't really start telling how provoked I am over seeing this
childish and truly community hostile attitude, or about the claims
about through the liquidation of Edge-IT all of the talents and
important people involved in development of the distribution
disappearing, guess what, the majority of the staff working on the
distribution for quite some time has actually been employed at
Conectiva, not Edge-IT!

But certainly, attention to actual details were never given much
importance, were they..? Or were the people at Conectiva just
considered less worth and not of any importance to the development of
the distribution at all..?

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind