[Mageia-discuss] [OT] pronounciation

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 21 21:53:15 CEST 2010

2010/9/21 P. Christeas <p_christ at hol.gr>:

> With a little remark there: mp3 had not been invented back at those times, so
> nobody really knows what Hellenic ("greek"[1] ) sounded back in past. So we
> presume that modern greek is the closest to the ancient language's
> pronounciation [2]. It is interesting to search that historically, and there
> has been many theories (like Erasmus's one, which you mention).

Yes, of course. Same with all old languages. We can only go back from
today's sound using old documents and overall statistic theories how
languages change with the time, with foreign contacts and travelling,
etc.

Best sources are religous rites because they tend to cover long time
spans without being changed. A good example is old Hebrew and
Hellenic, languages which were used to write the first documents of
our western religions.