[Mageia-discuss] Google, yahoo, Hotmail and Flickr accounts

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 21:58:22 CEST 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:15:05 -0400, Lawrence A Fossi <darkfoss at comcast.net> wrote:

> It's inevitable that Mageia would be claimed on some accounts.. a quick Google turned up 1 US business 1 guy on Twitter
> and a second with JA-Mageia..all on page 1 of the search
> http://sites.google.com/site/johnwellssr/home

Ouch!  Is this a show stopper for the name mageia?
http://mageia.com/

The domain was registered in 2001, with the ownership hidden
by Domains by Proxy.  The sites.google.com, and the
"Recent Site Activity" link on mageia.com shows it's
being maintained by "John Wells Sr".

Note that the logo consists of the site name in a stylized
script, with the phrase "Isn't it magic", as the "future Web
home for Mageia Minerals of Chassell, Michigan".  The site
consists of a single page hosted on sites.google.com.  The
recent activity indicates it was all created July 26th, 2010.

While mageia.org is not the same as mageia.com, I expect
a lot of users are going to accidentally go to the wrong
site.

Is this going to be potential legal problem?

Regards, Dave Hodgins