[Mageia-discuss] [Cooker] Re: Re: Transparency & open invitation to a united foundation..? [Was: forking mandriva]

Matthew Dawkins mattydaw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 22:55:09 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Per Øyvind Karlsen
<peroyvind at mandriva.org>wrote:

> 2010/9/21 Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com>:
> > Jostein Hauge wrote:
> >>
> >> If Laprévote invites to collaboration to make a foundation, then this
> should
> >> be looked into regardless of your personal feelings. I think most of us
> >> would
> >> love a solution like Fedora-Redhat.
> >>
> >> The name Mageia and the foundation might be kept. But what good does it
> make
> >> to have a new Cooker, new build system or bugzilla? If collaboration
> between
> >> Mandriva and Mageia is possible, then please collaborate.
> >>
> >> When someone reach out a hand, don't turn your back on it. Instead you
> could
> >> indicate what you think would be needed in order to make collaboration
> >> possible. Just saying 'no I wont collaborate at all' makes this look
> more
> >> like
> >> a vendetta than a constructive initiative.
> >>

> > +1
> >
> > The tone of these threads started as exciting and hopeful, but is going
> > downhill fast.
> >
> > As with any business, MDV will do what's (perceived as) good for MDV,
> > whether or not that seems respectful to the community.  I'd be the last
> > one to deny that without the community, MDV probably would have folded
> > long ago.  But I doubt they tell the shareholders that, so don't expect
> > their debt to the community to weigh heavily in policies created to
> > please shareholders.  They probably don't know we exist.
> >
> > In this case, MDV (= Laprévote) seems to think that a foundation is good
> > for MDV, so I'd have a lot more confidence that they will back it than I
> > would otherwise.  And once they go down that path, it would be very
> > difficult to reverse.
> >
> > No matter what your feelings about Mandriva management might be,
> > remember the old saying: "the bread of one emperor is as sweet as the
> > bread of another".  If MDV is willing to pony up the resources to host a
> > foundation of the type in which you're interested, *and* are willing to
> > let the community control it, just go forward from there.
> You loose the fact that I raised this issue and invited for discussion
> on this, and also there's been a general total consensus about the
> benefits and gains of a foundation and overwhelming interest in the
> whole thing.
>
> The issue here isn't that Mandriva is only interested in the
> foundation out of it's own interest, but rather about the fact that
> Romain is against anything related to Mandriva out of his own personal
> vendetta.
>
> This isn't something originally coming from the management of the
> company, it's been something first proposed around the beginning of
> the century by Gäel Duval, and that has since been resurfaced for
> discussion and being pushed from the community itself for quite a
> while!

> [...]

Well from my (Unity Linux) perspective I'm hoping for an independent SCM
repository as well. This is the perfect time to take advantage of an
independent SCM and allow everyone to share ~90% of the same code and see
where branching can be taken advantage of, but as mentioned before it would
take an entity with some resources to deploy it. (Hint hint Arnaud) I heard
a comment of about 600GB is needed to basically re-host the Mandriva svn and
to account for growth.

Much of these nasty low blows about my past employment/employees etc, is
just not classy nor constructive to really form a new community and from
that, then a distribution. It just doesn't work that way. It's obvious that
many of the nay-sayers may have no clue on what it takes to roll/spin/create
a distro and the enormous amount of setup and organization that goes into
it. So I'm not going to address them.

So what do we say? Can we get something going here? A comment from all?

Regards,
Matthew Dawkins