[Mageia-discuss] Mageia Forums

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Wed Sep 22 22:31:42 CEST 2010

> imo, users like forums and devs like mailing lists and possibly IRC even more
>
> but, devs are also in contact with forum mods and some devs browse through the
> forums once in a while.
>
> furthermore forum mods probably like IRC as well (as also some users do)
>
> but this kind of "seperation" is not necessarily a bad thing. users generally
> discuss more lengthy things while working out what is best in their option,
> conclusions about that are often indicated by forum mods/community leaders to
> devs on IRC/mailing lists.
>
> devs don't want to be too distracted by anything or they get no work done.
>
> as a topping; users and devs also communicate through bug reports, i cannot
> stress this enough, the easiest way to say to a dev, please do feature X is to
> open a feature request on the bugzilla.
>
> I see no need for all of this to change, i believe devs have a sufficient
> advisory input from community; but since this isn't a business, opensource is
> very simple, the dev decides what he does and what he doesn't do.

I think that I am not different than most other users. The life of devs
is a mystery to us. We often wonder how you spend your lives etc. Maybe
one of you could throw together a real-life mystery novel on the "Live
of a dev". LOL

I can tell you that for most users, using the IRC channels is just too
much of a challenge and quite frankly of little use. It is too
"real-time in your face" and hard to get back to check on missed
messages/answers (impossible to do). I can see where devs would not want
to be constantly interrupted by interlopers.

I too also see no real reason for change unless the dev team or
community members find the communication between the two groups is
lacking. If the tools are set for easy cross communication at the outset
then there would be no reason to complain. Whether or not a dev or
community member make use of these tools would be up to them.

Marc