[Mageia-discuss] help us to bring some order to the chaos

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Sep 23 15:53:56 CEST 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Jerome Quelin wrote:

> On 10/09/23 14:18 +0200, Tux99 wrote:
> > I'm not sure that is the best way to select packages. I'd have imagined
> > that for all the new packagers that don't already have packages they
> > worked on on cooker, there will be a big list of all
> > orphan/non-assigned packages and we put our names next to the ones
> > we are interested in.
>
> i don't want to dwelve in package details - except really big ones such
> as kernel or gcc. we'll see at this level of detail later on when
> importing svn and rebuilding packages for mageia.

Of course, that makes sense, that's why I thought going into any level
of detail at this point is premature.

> > I don't want to restrict myself based on specific categories, but rather
> > specific apps that I'm familiar with (because I use them and/or have
> > packaged/backported before by myself).
>
> agreed, we all do that. i know i won't maintain packages that i don't
> use. yet, it's possible to generalize... eg, you wrote "(prefer
> audio/video apps)" when registering as a potential packager: you can
> therefore create a new media / audio / video category listing that you
> are interested in this area.

Agreed, but I don't want to restrict myself to specific categories.
Even though I'm mostly interested in audio/video apps, I might find that
(as a hypotetical example) 'rsync' is unmaintained and therefore decide
to take that on too.
So assigning ourselves to specific categories now, might show up
misleading lack of packagers in some areas, which then in reality won't
be the case.

Anyway, I'll put myself in audio/video for now and then we see how it
goes.