[Mageia-discuss] Chinese translation for Mageia's page

Kira elegant.pegasus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 17:06:49 CEST 2010

在 Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:02:18 +0800, Fred James
<fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net>寫道:

> In English (at least here in North Central Texas) when referring to a
> river, a branch and a fork are much the same thing ... either can
> indicate the dividing of a river in either the upstream or the down
> stream direction.  But in Unix/Linux a fork usually means that a process
> (the parent) makes a copy of itself (the child), and then these both
> continue, possibly on their own but not necessarily (do I understand
> that correctly?).  If that is so (definition of fork for Linux), is
> their an appropriate word or phrase (is that the right way to say it?)
> in Chinese?  Hope that helps.  Hope it isn't too hopelessly off the mark.
> Regards
> Fred James

I had also tried to translate the text. In Chinese there's really no words

match up with the meaning of fork in English. But, I think using the word

branch in Chinese: "分支", would fit in the meaning in the text.

Maybe Funda Wang could use the term?