[Mageia-discuss] About decisions in Mageia

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 22:27:57 CEST 2010

Op vrijdag 24 september 2010 22:16:00 schreef Romain d'Alverny:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 21:46, Maarten Vanraes
>
> <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Op vrijdag 24 september 2010 13:20:42 schreef Dimitrios Glentadakis:
> > [...]
> >
> >> 2)  for many elements as logo, colors, names etc, there will be a poll
> >> (we have already the cooker's name poll), i think that some times the
> >> polls are not able to guide the distribution to its goal, and the
> >> decisions must be taken from the board team.
> >>
> >> My 2 cents
> >
> > I completely agree, communities are great, but i think these stuff should
> > be advisable only, and we should get board members who can decide on
> > these things, because they are knowledgable in their own area.
> >
> > I don't think the community should be disregarded by the board, but
> > sometimes the board should decide differently by the community because
> > the community doesn't know everything.
>
> Then it should know.
>
> I know this may sound like an innocent wish, but I mean it.
>
> The "board" will have to motivate every decision/move it takes -
> especially if this very decision was to go against most
> recommandations/wishes from the community (he, who knows, it may
> happen).
>
> We expect Mageia, not to disclose, but to publish all information,
> data, metrics about the project, developement, tasks, maybe about
> product usage and about decisions. Or at least, not to keep them
> hidden on purpose.
>
> That will require to identify what useful metrics are and to
> understand them for what they're worth (and not). That will require
> some education on what metrics we can collect (think about privacy and
> right here), how we collect them, how we use and learn from these.
>
> Not that it will be easy or without mistake at first. But that's what
> we expect as well.

I agree, if decision go against (or choosing the 2nd choice or something) the
recommendation; i would expect the board members to explain their choice, tbh,
i think this is common sense... i didn't even think it was required to do so.

Of course, the rest of the community should also accept that the board has
more expertise/knowledge on this, and if they explain sufficiently, it should be
no problem.

Of course, every choice they/we make, we'll never satisfy everyone, just
remember that sometimes a compromise will be necessary and you should accept
that (or start a public slander campaign :-D ).