[Mageia-discuss] Think about bugzilla monitoring?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 25 13:19:28 CEST 2010

2010/9/25 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:

> So to conclude, as arrogant and elitist it will sound, the best way for
> everybody to have a bug fixed is to fix it yourself.

This is neither arrogant nor elitist, it is logical thinking. But at
the same time it is unrealistic, as a lot of logical thinking is. :(

Only a small percentage of users is able to write a good bug report,
much less users would be able to squash the simplest of bugs (like
fixing a broken dependency in a package, broken by a typo of the
packager or similar). As we have already said here we first need
people who help other people writing bug reports - this may be
possible for a certain percentage of users, for others it may not
because they may not care.

What you are talking about is the user who is already committed to be
involved, the community which is discussing here and elsewhere. But
the majority of users, even in a free non-commercial environment, is
not out for an involvement, they want to use the software.