[Mageia-discuss] Package management system

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 28 22:35:10 CEST 2010

Hi Thomas,

this is not really an answer to you, you just wrote the last posting in this
threat...

Thomas Lottmann <skiperdrake at gmail.com> schrieb am 2010-09-28
> Thank you for retelling the sotry properly, I was not yet on Linux at
> that time. But I am still quite sure Smart was appreciated for a few
> points, not remembering them...
That is the problem in this whole rpm vs. deb, urpmi vs. smart vs. apt,
rpmdrake vs. synaptic thread. Nobody has given any reasons for changing away
from rpm, urpmi and rpmdrake. And - working with many systems during my dayly
life, yum, zypper, urpmi, aptitude, I don't see one of them superior to any of
the others.
At the company I'm working, we are using Debian-, OpenSuSE-, and CentOS-
Servers as well as my Mandriva workstation. And I am doing administrative work
on all of them.
None of those systems has anything that would make me change away from the one
I know best, which is Mandriva. So if nothing can give any technical reasons,
this whole debate is useless!

Oliver