[Mageia-discuss] who knows about site mageia-br?

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 22:16:02 CEST 2010

Op dinsdag 28 september 2010 18:42:21 schreef Ahmad Samir:
[...]
> Go on using gmail like you do; I've been using it with all the
> Mandriva ML's for the past 1-2years (web mail via firefox, I didn't
> use any email clients) and I didn't get any complaints of breaking
> threads when I post/reply to the ML(s).
>
> You see, when sending emails gmail does send the message headers and
> everything properly.
>
> Gmail differs in just how it *groups* the received emails in threads
> (called conversations in the gmail world). The example I gave, about
> the bugs mailing list, is a good one, when the subject line changes
> gmail splits the thread (when you reply to an ML thread you're not
> changing the subject line); an email client would be more thorough and
> see that it's the same thread even though one word changed in the
> subject line (bugzilla adds the keyword to the subject line, e.g.
> NEEDINFO). But that's probably a corner case.
[...]

Not to mention that if you're using gmail and you send an email to a mailing
list, you never know if it was delivered or not, because the mail you send is
the start of the conversation, you never get your own email. If you'd use IMAP
on gmail accounts, you'd see it much clearer, because instead of
conversations, your sent email is in a Sent folder. (which sometimes leads to
double emails on the list)

I can understand that webbased emails are the best solution for some people,
but it doesn't have to be gmail; noone is even saying you can't for example
install a squirrelmail or similar on your home-server. (it's an option)